I've always loved photography but I always & continually have lots to learn. A friend is in this project of taking a photo a day for 365 days and posting it in order to learn more about photography...and I thought "What a great idea!" The challenge for me will be to post a photo a day...can I do it? Well, I'll try. Thanks for joining me on this photographical journey.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Day 14 - Basketball

I think Basketball is one of the hardest sports to shoot. I did ok on this photo but I know I have a lot to learn about shooting this sport. It's good that I don't shoot these events professionally...just when my boy is playing. :-) But, any tips on taking better photos of Basketball? I don't have a huge lens with a wide opening, which I know would be more helpful...but how can I take better pics with what I got? I really do like the action I got in this picture though. :-)


Basketball by lisaspics · 365 Project

1 comment:

  1. You're absolutely correct when you're talking about how difficult it is to shoot gymnasium sports. Without some seriously fast glass (we are talking f/2.8 or faster) you'll have to rely on higher ISOs to get the shutter speed its unique to freeze action. Add to that the miserable white balance issue that always comes up with any sodium vapor or mercury vapor lights that are typically used in gymnasiums and it is a photographer's nightmare.

    Personally, I am starting to learn of the value of using a higher ISO. I used to be all about image quality and the thought of going above ISO of 400 was ridiculous to me now I've learned that a slightly grainy shot, that could probably be improved in postprocessing, is better than no shot at all, failing to freeze action you want to freeze, or using a shutter speed so slow that you introduce camera shake as a factor.

    Whenever shooting amateur sports of any type I always try to ask permission to set up some strobes in the key areas of the courts in a simple cross lighting pattern to increase my odds of getting some excellent shots.

    The only other suggestion that I have for a unique picture with total disregard for the action would be to try a few smaller aperture/longer shutter speed shots while panning with the player moving downcourt.

    Considering all the factors that you had playing against you I think this is an excellent shot.

    ReplyDelete